Birding in Lowland Forest of Manokwari
|Yellow-capped Pygmy Parrot (Micropsitta keiensis)|
The river is also the natural habitat of a lot of species of butterflies, beetles, lizards, cuscus possum, deer, wildpigs and wallaby. The Mesirrokow forest is devided by a large river that flows to north coast of Manokwari. Various kinds of flowers can be seen growing on both sides of the river.
Since the birding site is located in the middle of the jungle, there is no guesthouse or homestay that are available at the moment. Visitors who go there will have to stay in tents. As a tourist guide, I can provide tents for visitors who want to take birding tour in this lowland forest of Manokwari.
|Lesser Birds of Paradise|
In addition to watching birds, visitors who go hiking in Mount Mabowi will be able to watch cuscus possum, soa-soa dragon lizard, birdwing butterflies, and fireflies. The rich ecosystem of tropical rainforest in the region is a nice site for those who want to experience hiking, camping, and wildlife watching in Arfak mountains.
|Lowland Forest of Manokwari|
There are no guesthousee in the forest that I mention above. Tourists who want to take the tour will stay in tents that have been prepared by I and the local villagers for tourists. However, there are things which visitors need to bring:
- Water shoes and flip-flop
- Flashlight/ torch
- Insect repellent lotion
- Sun-block lotion
- Field guide book "Birds of New Guinea" written by Thane K. Pratt, Bruce Beehler and etc.
|Common Paradise Kingfisher|
- You could fly from your country to Denpasar city in Bali island.
- I could meet you in Bali to do some birding in the forest of the island before continuing our flight to
- Take a domestic flight to Manokwari city for birding and wildlife watching trip in lowland forest and Arfak mountains.