Birding Tour in Tambrauw Forest
There is a nice birding site in Tambrauw regency that we promote to bird watchers. Its name is Fulgidus forest. We call it: Fulgidus because it is the natural habitat of New Guinea Vulturine Parrot (Psittrichas fulgidus
). We offer hiking, camping and birding tour to this forest to support local people in preserving their rainforest and at the same time generating alternative income for them. When the indigenous people feel that they can get positive benefits from their forest, they will stop hunting paradise birds and other important wild animals. They will also stop logging activities that are very destructive to the environment.
|New Guinea Vulturine Parrot|
The duration of the birding tour can be 3 days to 1 week depending on how long visitors want to stay. During the birding tour, visitors can stay in the houses that belong to local people. However, for hiking and birding tours to the mountain and coastal area, we will build tents in the forest near a river and at the beach. We will provide tents, mattrasses, cooking and eating utensils so that visitors do not have to bring heavy equipment to this forest.
Things to Bring for Birding Tour in Tambrauw Mountains
- All birdwatchers know that they need a good pair of binoculars. I recommend Swarovski EL 8,5×42, Swarovski SLC 10×42, Nikon Monarch 5 10×42, Canon 15×50 Image Stabilizer.
- If you have got a spotting scope, please, bring it too.
- For taking pictures, a camera with telephoto lens will be needed.
- You need to bring hiking boots or sport shoes with socks.
- Dark clothing such as dark grey or dark green or camouflage t-shirts and trousers will be very useful.
- Personal toiletries and towel
- Rain poncho
Birdlist from Lowland and lower montane forest of Tambrauw regency
There are a lot of species of birds in this forest including:
- Lesser Birds of Paradise (Paradisaea minor),
- King Bird of Paradise (Cicinnurus regius),
- Magnificent Riflebird (Ptiloris magnificus),
- Western Crowned Pigeon (Goura cristata),
- Pinon Imperial Pigeon (Ducula pinon),
- Pink-spotted Fruit- Dove (Ptilinopus perlatus),
- Beautiful Fruit Dove (Ptilinopus pulchellus)
- Palm Cockatoo (Probosciger atterimus),
- Sulphur-crested Cockatoo (Cacatua galerita)
- Blyth's hornbill (Rhyticeros plicatus),
- Northern Cassowary (Casuarius unappendiculatus)
- Yellow-faced Myna (Mino dumontii)
- Golden Myna (Mino anais)
- Variable Goshawk
- Gray-headed Goshawk
- Brahminy Kite (Haliastur indus)
- Lowland Peltop (Peltops blainvilii)
- Boyer's Cuckooshrike
- Grey Crow (Corvius tristis)
- Torresian Crow (Corvus orru)
- Oriental Dollarbird
- Yellow-billed Kingfisher (Syma toro toro)
- Forest Kingfisher
- Rufous-bellied Kookaburra (Dacelo gaudichaud)
- Rainbow Bee-eater
- and a lot more
How to get to Fulgidus Forest in Tambrauw Mountains
- You need to take an international flight to Jakarta (the capital of Indonesia)
- After that, you could take a domestic flight that will bring you to Sorong city.
- I could meet you at the airport and organize your trip to Fulgidus forest of Tambrauw regency.
Please, contact me (Charles Roring) by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org or whatsapp: +6281332245180.
Post a Comment