Various species of pigeons and fruit doves live in tropical rainforest of Papua from lowland to higher montane region. Here are some of them:
- Pinon Imperial Pigeon - I have seen the bird since I was a child in my parents' clove garden. Years later, when I guided a British lady on an adventure trip to see wild animals, flowers and unique tropical plants in lowland forest of Manokwari, I saw the bird again and took picture of it for the first time. I used Nikon Coolpix P500 with its 30× optical zoom. It was my first point and shoot camera. The bird is often hunted by local people as the source of protein for them. We stayed for several nights in a simple basecamp near a river.
|Pinon Imperial Pigeon|
|Adventure trip in tropical rainforest of Manokwari|
- Papua Mountain Pigeon - This bird looks similar to Pinon Imperial Pigeon. I usually see it in Arfak range.
- Cinnamon Ground Dove - Several years ago, when I guided Professor Richard H. Ebright from the United States on a hiking and birdwatching tour in Arfak mountains, we saw this dove. The bird came to the dancing ground of Western Parotia. The bird spent around 15 minutes walking around the birding ground. It allowed me to take good picture of the bird.
|Cinnamon Ground Dove (Gallicolumba rufigula)|
- Bronze Ground Dove - I saw the bird in Arfak mountains.
- Elegant Pigeon (Ducula concinna). I saw the bird in Mansinam island of Manokwari. It was around 9 to 10 years ago. It was after a rain when I saw it. The bird, perhaps, was drying his or her feather.
|Elegant Pigeon (Ducula concinna) in Mansinam island of Manokwari.|
- Spice Imperial Pigeon - This bird mostly live in small islands in Raja Ampat. I frequently see it when I guide tourists to karst in Kabui bay.
- Pied Imperial Pigeon
- Mountain Fruit Dove
- Beautiful Fruit Dove
- Great Cuckoo Dove
|Great Cuckoo Dove - Photo by Wim Boyden|
- Brown Cuckoo Dove
|Brown Cuckoo Dove|
- Wompoo Fruit Dove - This is a very beautiful fruit dove. I usually see the bird in Klasow valley - a lowland forest of Sorong regency. One day, I made an exploratory trip by 4wd car to Tambrauw mountains. We had a short stop in Sikor a small village in the mountains. I got off the car and began to do birding walk along the main road. That's where I saw a female Wompoo Fruit Dove was sitting in her nest. So, I carefully raised my camera and took the picture of this beautiful bird.
- Pink-spotted Fruit Dove
- Claret-breasted Fruit Dove
- Dwarf Fruit